Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: African grey and other parrots?

Thanks

African grey and other parrots?

I was just wondering if there were any members who had other types of parrots in addition to their african greys and how well do they get along or co-exist with their other parrots.

I myself have a white capped pionus parrot as well as my grey girlie and I am very pleased with how things have turned out. They both share the same room but of course different cages.

My african grey is more boisterous, and my pionus parrot more reserved and independent.
    They have very similar temperments in that they are both very calm and reserved by nature. For the most part.. they are both very quiet parrots.

For those who have never heard of pionus parrots here is a link for more info.

http://www.pionusparrot.com/<br><br>Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2009/03/28 23:14

Thanks

I think mine all enjoy having the company of other parrots in the house, but none of them get along as far as being able to be on the same playstand, etc.

My ekkies are MUCH louder than my CAG, but it may be because there are two of them. My CAG is actually very quiet for the most part (she is a parrot after all, so some screeching and smoke-detector imitations are to be expected! :-)).

All three cages are in one large room with two large aquariums and the kid's computer desk (the room formerly known as our "living room"). When we're home, however, they're usually out of their cages and hanging out on their playstands (they each have their own).

All three have very different temperaments and personalities...so they fit in well with us! :-)

Thanks

I was really happy when I only had my pionus parrot Sachi but now with Emma and her together I am extremely content to have two parrots rather a single one. There was definitely an adjustment period when Emma came home for Sachi had been used to being the Princess of the house.

While Emma was being weaned I used to bring Sachi to visit on a weekly basis so that they could become familiar with each other.

Today I know Sachi and Emma recognize that they are part of each other's flock. I also know that having each other during the day helps to break the silence. Parrots are very social creatures and I think they do better when they are among their 'flock" rather than be left alone for long periods of time. I feel very comforted knowing that neither of my parrots are never physically alone.
    They provide to each other the kind of companionship that we wouldn't be able to provide for them during the day when we are at work or out. After all we can't be everything to our parrots at all times of the day either .<br><br>Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2009/03/29 04:46

Thanks

My TAG and Sun Conure torment eachother. I couldn't keep them out together without the Sun Conure starting something or the Timneh African Grey starting it. The first time They were out the Sun Conure got the best of the Timneh because Pheonix was twice as fast as Tim. And trying to break them up in mid air was about as weird as it got. Get them apart and in their cages and let them out one at a time and it's like they were totally different people. Pheonix passed away last year rest his soul. Although Pheonix had his times. Before I got married my ex and I were eating stuffed crust pizza and I gave the crust to my cat and Pheonix flew over to take it from him, Daemon (demon) decided he didn't like and swung, Pheonix jumped back and then decided to attack the cat. Needless to say the cat took faster than when I shot him with water. and I just got the heart a little while ago to get another parrot a blue and gold which I was wanting for awhile. At 5 weeks old she's nearly twice Tim's size. I put them together to see what reaction I would get out of Tim the same way I started out with my son and he just took off. My guess is he didn't like her or he just didn't care. I can tell when he ignores something and when he's interested. As far as the cat is concerned Tim has no fear of the cat, cat will no longer bug parrots after his encounter with the little Sun Conure that could. But I keep them at a safe distance now. So I'm hopping as Sunny gets older that they will be ok.

Thanks

I have a grey, eclectus, conure and a dyh amazon. My grey and my conure are buddies and the conure will go my greys cage to visit for long amounts of time. When I have a short errond to run and don't want to put the conure in his own cage, I will put him in my greys cage and tell him he has to babysit for awhile. My grey has a sweet disposition and he can be put on the playstands along with all of the rest of my parrots but the only one he has bonded close to is the conure. But he does not fight with any of them. I think I am so lucky they all get along so well.

Thanks

Emma gets along with other people and parrots very well! She is great at first encounters and is very approachable and friendly. I think the reason behind this is because she has never been a single parrot in a household. At the pet shop she had to share me every time I visited and when she came home she had to share me with Sachi.

{Feel-good-00020114}

Thanks
    Thanked 8,616 Times in 3,770 Posts

My grey Josey has shown no aggression toward Sunny, my sun conure but the exact opposite is true for Sunny, she will try to go after Josey but I keep them apart. They are fine to be out at the same time but they can't share a playstand, I have to have them on separate ones. Occasionally I might have both on my shoulders but I have to be careful that Sunny stays on her side and Josey is fine with that. It would be nice if they got along better but it isn't going to happen so I live with what I have but am a little jealour of those whose birds do get along.
    Never take life seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!

Moderator/2ND PLACE CONTEST WINNER! luvparrots's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,385 Times in 3,107 Posts

I have an 9 month old female Timneh African Grey and a male Eclectus who is at least 10 years old. Ana Grey is quiet and easy coming not getting upset about anything. Sully is a quiet guy who is still getting use to his new home. Ana Grey would love to interact with Sully. I'm hoping Sully once he has settled in will tolerate sweet Ana Grey.

~~~~~~~~~~ Ana Grey ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Louie ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Sterling Gris ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Lily ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks

Re:African grey and other parrots?

I have a grey and a tiel and although they chat to each other from their cages they do not get along at all and need to be let out one at a time.

Thanks

Re:African grey and other parrots?

All my birds clasify themselves as a flock and do get along very well I'm happy to say. Adaya being the newest member is still going through the adjustment period of getting to know the other birds and so far she is doing very well with them the only one I woeey about is my Macaw he seems to be a little intimadated by Adaya and hides in his cage when she landsclose by. I'm sure she will win him over though. he seems to like all the other birds so Im sure he will adjust to her as well