Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: UVB LIGHTING--IT'S IMPORTANCE

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 460 Posts
    I have my timer set for 4 hours a day during the week then its usually off on the weekends because Babalu is out allot. I was told 4 hours by the store I bought it from and Im pretty sure it said it on the box too..

Thanks
    How necessary is this UVB lighting? My TAG's cage will be placed where he gets a good amount of natural sunlight and will be out and about a lot. We live in a very sunny island, though he'll actually be outside the house when I let him out with a harness (which I am planning on doing every one or two weeks). Will I need the UVB lighting? Once again, how neccesary is it? Thank you in advance for the answers.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoUndies View Post
    How necessary is this UVB lighting? My TAG's cage will be placed where he gets a good amount of natural sunlight and will be out and about a lot. We live in a very sunny island, though he'll actually be outside the house when I let him out with a harness (which I am planning on doing every one or two weeks). Will I need the UVB lighting? Once again, how neccesary is it? Thank you in advance for the answers.
    I would say it's important to have anyway. I know that windows filter out the beneficial rays so only being outdoors would really give the health benefit. When it is cold, going outdoors for a grey is not safe so you would need it for days when the temperature outside is low.

Thanks
    It is never actually 'cold' here, and it never snows here, so that's not a problem. Also, the windows have the netting or whatever on them so no insects can come in, meaning that the glass of the window is usually open, except when we go to sleep. Doors are open unless the TAG is outside of his cage.
    I might buy a UVB lamp just instead, but reading the above do you still think it's needed. Also, thank you very much ^^

(I still didn't get my TAG, by the way, but most likely I'll get him/her this July. Maybe August. Maybe a bit later xP

Just Hatched
    Thanks
    Just a quick tip, the bulbs which are long tubes need a special unit to run not standard domestic fittings as they flicker on and off, not seen by human eyes but to birds it would be like living under strobe lights thats the same with any foluresent light not just full spectrum lighting..

Thanks
    One other important thing to remember about florescent bulbs is that although they continue to put out 'light' for a long time, their power diminishes - specifically in the wavelengths you want. Most bulb packaging tells you what the lifespan of the bulb is. I used to doubt it as a way for them to get you to buy more bulbs until I started keeping a planted aquarium. I can definitely tell when my bulbs need replaced in that scenario as the plant growth slows to a crawl.

Also, Dave's response about if reptile bulbs can be used for birds is mostly correct, but I wanted to humbly add some clarification. Some bulbs, I'm assuming the ones he was thinking of, are dual-purpose to cover the UV needs and heat requirements. Others are designed to only provide the UV with the heat provided by a separate source. I would say consult the packaging or manufacturer, for as he did say, you do not need a bulb with a heat component and need to be careful with one that has one.
    Mark in Oblivion
    Current zoo: Mommy, wife; Maggie, Dutch rabbit; Spencer, TAG; Navroh, Quaker; Martini and Stoli, Labradors; Sadie, barn cat; Emily, kid; two aquariums. Recently passed, Anya, cocktiel(12).

Bird Whisperer
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,416 Times in 3,497 Posts
    Dave... what is the name of your bird? Just curious. Thanks again, for your excellent advice! Nancy

Thanks
    Now that the weather is getting warmer, I'm starting to take Archimedes outside... He's starting to get used to going outside but I'm curious, how much natural sunlight would a grey need to get the necessary UVB exposure? right now we're up to 10 minutes of outside time before I could tell he's had enough... But I'm hoping to stretch it to longer times, or even split it up into 2 or more sessions during the day if thats best for him

9. The Following User Says Thank You to snoepgoed123 For This Useful Post:

Jayd (04-14-2012)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 1,966 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Katherine View Post
    Just a quick tip, the bulbs which are long tubes need a special unit to run not standard domestic fittings as they flicker on and off, not seen by human eyes but to birds it would be like living under strobe lights that's the same with any foluresent light not just full spectrum lighting..
    This is true if your using the old magnetic type ballast, the new electronic ballast work differently and scientist see no harm using them as a bird light... Thanks Jayd

Just Hatched
    Thanks
    what?? Only 4 hours a day? I was told 12 hours.. (8 to 8 og 9 to 9..)
    Vasco and his mommy Mari

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marik87 For This Useful Post:

Jayd (05-12-2013), Timbersmom (05-13-2013)