Page 1 of 60 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Grey Cognition and language abilities

Thanks
    Thanked 10,776 Times in 3,504 Posts

Lightbulb Grey Cognition and language abilities

Sometimes, the mental processes, emotions and speech capabilities of these Grey's just blow me away.

I would like to hear others stories as well and keep this thread active, if possible.

Today:

Early this morning I let Dayo (CAG) and Jake (Conure) out of their cages, went
    through the good morning and high fives ritual. I then went out the back sliding
    glass door and did about 20 minutes of chores in view through the windows which
    both birds watch out of.

When I came back in, I immediately walked over, sat down and turned the PC on to
    check things online.

In 30 seconds, Dayo about 15 feet away on the Kitchen counter states
    "Shoot!"...."GOD!"..... "I'm on the Computer"...."Want some Apple and Grape".

I look over in shock at his clear verbal indication that he was totally
    disappointed in my actions upon coming back in the house and not doing my normal
    task of chopping up veggies and fruit first thing. He was staring straight at me
    and obviously waiting for my acknowledgment. Which I did by saying "Oh, sorry,
    lets get some veggies and fruit" and proceeded to perform that task.

I have truly been trying to multi-task mentally and pay attention to what he is
    saying no matter what I am doing.

My theory is, if they are communicating to us and we do not respond with an
    appropriate statement back or action, they will decide their communication is
    either wrong or not affective and not be as eager to try and clearly communicate
    using words and phrases what they want or think.

It still boggles my mind that his clear disappointment (Emotional) was clearly
    indicated just like that of when my children were young and disappointed we
    didn't do what they were expecting.
    Last edited by danmcq; 05-15-2010 at 03:27 PM.
    Within all of us is a varying amount of space lint and star dust, the residue from our creation. Most are too busy to notice it, and it is stronger in some than others. It is strongest in those of us who fly and is responsible for an unconscious, subtle desire to slip into some wings and try for the elusive boundaries of our origin. ~K.O. Eckland, "Footprints On Clouds"

Dayo in flight....

2. The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to danmcq For This Useful Post:

>^..^< (09-06-2010), aerial.2000 (01-28-2012), Arjadaga (10-09-2010), birdhouse (06-13-2010), bluedawg (03-20-2013), Butttaxi (03-05-2011), chezron (07-17-2013), CocoaRocks (03-21-2011), Cosmos_Friend (05-05-2013), Darkfifi29 (02-09-2013), dw310 (05-15-2010), Eckobird (05-19-2010), greyday87 (07-18-2013), harmonicaman68 (01-17-2011), Inara (09-24-2013), Janfromboone (11-03-2012), Jayd (05-15-2010), JillyBeanz (05-15-2010), JJsHoney (05-17-2010), judygram (05-15-2010), kins2321@yahoo.com (01-11-2012), krikkit (03-01-2011), Loki05deMayo (04-10-2013), Mickeys Mom (02-03-2013), Mistyparrot (11-05-2011), paleale (12-31-2012), Park (04-06-2016), Popsicle (06-17-2011), Shara62 (03-06-2014), Spock (05-16-2010), TXWildflower (05-21-2015), Vicki5280 (06-27-2013)

Thanks
    That is really amazing.

If I have to move Morgan's cage while he's in it, I say in a calm voice, "It's OK." The other day, I sorta bumped him, and said, "Sorry, Morgan, I didn't mean to bump you." And he said, "It's OK." I was not moving the cage at the time!!! Now I wonder if he has put together what "It's OK" might mean, or if he was just babbling. He's now almost 9 months old, so I don't expect him to understand all that much, but maybe he does!!!

Great story, Dan!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dw310 For This Useful Post:

chezron (07-17-2013), Cosmos_Friend (05-05-2013), danmcq (05-16-2010), paleale (12-31-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,776 Times in 3,504 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dw310 View Post
    That is really amazing.

If I have to move Morgan's cage while he's in it, I say in a calm voice, "It's OK." The other day, I sorta bumped him, and said, "Sorry, Morgan, I didn't mean to bump you." And he said, "It's OK." I was not moving the cage at the time!!! Now I wonder if he has put together what "It's OK" might mean, or if he was just babbling. He's now almost 9 months old, so I don't expect him to understand all that much, but maybe he does!!!

Great story, Dan!
    He may or may not truly understand, but it certanly appears that he does by his response. Obviously you consistently use that phrase each time a cage movement occurs, thus "It's ok", is what he has verbally and mentally linked to that event. I tell Dayo "It's OK", everytime something happens that he does not need to fear. Over the last few years, he will slip or see something a little scary and well assure himself verbally "It's ok Dayo".

You are on the right path and your Grey is communicating to you, in my opinion.

Thanks for sharing this.

I appreciate all the others comments too and look forward to this being a jam packed thread with everyones experiences.
    Within all of us is a varying amount of space lint and star dust, the residue from our creation. Most are too busy to notice it, and it is stronger in some than others. It is strongest in those of us who fly and is responsible for an unconscious, subtle desire to slip into some wings and try for the elusive boundaries of our origin. ~K.O. Eckland, "Footprints On Clouds"

Dayo in flight....

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to danmcq For This Useful Post:

Branden Cohen (05-23-2013), Cosmos_Friend (05-05-2013), Jayd (05-17-2010), kins2321@yahoo.com (10-14-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,079 Times in 2,008 Posts
    Both Spock and Joey say,"Gimme a kiss" Joey also says "com-eer gimme a kiss" when you go to them, they both "smack" and kiss your nose. Salsa our Amazon can be corrected verbally , with some forcefulness, so when she's loud, we claped [no more] our hands and say "Shhhh". When Spock and Salsa do something that bothers Joey, he'll call their name, say "stop it" and make a loud clapping sound! LoL Today Joey said his wanna kiss, I didn't respond quickly enough, so he said disgustedly, "Gonna give me a kiss! Clap!", I guess he told me! Jayd .......... As a side note, I wish Spock had never learned "What". LoL
    Last edited by Jayd; 05-16-2010 at 09:03 PM.
    Let the past enhance the future...Let the future guide us.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jayd For This Useful Post:

Cosmos_Friend (05-05-2013)

Flock Member
    Thanks
    My daughter was being cranky one night...it was about time for bed. Wait, only one night of being cranky? HA! I wish! We always let her watch mickey mouse and then bed time. So, she was cranky as all get out, Jasper looks at her and says, 'want to watch mickey mouse?' (that's what we say)! It's amazing to me what these birds understand!

Oh and then the dogs where barking to come inside and Jasper said, 'Let the dogs in!'

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jingles For This Useful Post:

>^..^< (09-06-2010), danmcq (05-20-2010)

Banned
    Thanks
    More Grey Cognition; Joey's treat rewards are pine nuts and salt-free pretzels which are only given to him on special occasions, as training rewards and as treats sparingly. Joey is very weight-conscious and is careful to only eat what he needs and does eat a balanced diet of all that is offered to him.
    We, as does danmcq, use all interactions (as much as we can) for training . So, after breakfast, (since Jay does that the majority of the time), Jay asks Joey if he wants a "good nut" and shows him the bag of pine nuts. After a pause, Jay will give him one at a time (he gets two altogether) which Joey savors. Then, later, after play time, he is shown the pretzel bag and is asked if he wants a "good nut" and then he gets a pretzel. (We only started this a few days ago)
    Well, today is my day off and I had the breakfast duty today. After breakfast, I was cleaning up and preparing veggie plates when I heard Joey say "WANNA GOOD NUT!".
    OOPPSS! I had forgotten his routine of getting a pine nut after breakfast...as I headed over to show him the bag, he reminded me "Good Nut!!" My bad...he certainly was letting me know in no uncertain terms that he was upset he didn't get his nut.
    So, I went back to what I was doing...I then heard Joey again say "Good Nut!" I explained to him that he already had his nuts and again he said "Good nut!" I offered him a pine nut and he pushed my hand away and said "Good Nut!!" Jay yelled out, "He wants his pretzel". Sure enough, he took his pretzel and took ten minutes to savor that pretzel. Then he started whistling his own tune and danced to it before turning to his toys to play....amazing...
    Joey is our 3 year old rescue and it's taken us a long time to get to this point. I wish we could have had him as a fledgling...
    Spock; Tango, our 'Too says "Whatcha doing?" at which we answer "cooking, getting babies' food, cleaning, etc.". So now Spock will fly over to our shoulder and say "Doing?" and he will be looking down at whatever you are doing and expect an answer, such as "on the computer", "fixing breakfast", "fixing veggies" (at which time he will climb down to examine the process further and if it is veggies, he will help by tossing out what he doesn't want or like and eating whatever he does LOL). Other than a few phrases like "Gimmee a kiss", "Good Water", etc. he still using single words to get across his meaning. He is still a bird of few words...lol!
    Maggie

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Spock For This Useful Post:

>^..^< (09-06-2010), danmcq (05-20-2010), katana600 (06-06-2010), pearllyn (05-19-2010)

Thanks
    The other night I was on the phone with my Mom, Paco was happily playing on his spinning playgym and got a little to rambunctious and slipped a bit, losing his balance for a moment. He looked at me and hollered "Woooooowwwww!" I use this exclamation whenever him and I are doing something that I think might cause him a bit of fear, or hesitation, or when I want him to know that we are doing something that is an adventure.

Even without really being able to make a facial expression, it was clear that he was relieved he caught himself and was ok.

Thanks for starting this post Dan, I hope I can continue to add to it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Xtreme575 For This Useful Post:

>^..^< (09-06-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,079 Times in 2,008 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by justalady721 View Post
    I was just curious if there is anyone that has had a grey talk later than the 18 month mark? what are some of the things they do right before they first start to talk? is there stages that they go through before they talk?
    From a youngster, a Grey will start to make sounds and noises, it's possible that they are practicing speech, and sounding out sounds. Most Grey's talk at around 1 year old, some earlier, some later, some say few words, some say many, you never know! Does your baby make sounds or talk? Jayd
    Let the past enhance the future...Let the future guide us.

Thanks
    It's so wonderful that they have each other, even if they do annoy each other at times.

OK - I actually could tell a story every day, but half of them nobody believes. Here is one though. Tobie's newest phrase is to do with "the cage". I think he has just figured out what to call that wire box he lives in. This is how it goes. "Where's Tobie? Tobie in the cage?" Where's Mamma? Mamma going in the cage? Tucker in the cage? I'm going! I'm going! I'm going in the cage? (now he goes in the cage and eats a bite, then ......) Bird in the cage!!! Jan, Jan, Jan, Hey Jan, ---Bird in the cage". About that time I've just gotten the camera set up and he stops the chatter.

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Janfromboone For This Useful Post:

birdhouse (06-13-2010), danmcq (05-25-2010), djohnson (10-04-2010), Jayd (05-25-2010), paleale (12-31-2012), Tricky (06-09-2010)

Thanks
    OK! So I got up this morning and didn't have to go to work so I thought I might engage Tobie into his "who's in the cage" dialogue. I set up the camera and Tobie was just doing what he does every morning and then suddenly starts counting. So here is the video. I wasn't kidding when I said I could tell a story every day. To be honest I heard the 4-1-6 and he has said 4-0-6 before (a week ago) and so that part wasn't new. You'll hear the new part. My husband swears he isn't doing this. I know I've never said this to him. We still can't figure out where he got the 4-1-6.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpVXIk5Qu_U

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Janfromboone For This Useful Post:

danmcq (09-19-2013), Eckobird (05-27-2010), Jayd (06-09-2010), katana600 (06-06-2010)