Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bathing--possible method 1

Thanks
    Thanked 7,159 Times in 2,054 Posts

Bathing--possible method 1

This is for birds who are being sprayed while in the cage.

Bathing/Spraying------a large amount of greys don't like bathing or spraying but they do need to get it done, especially since they have dander(white dust that they always throw off). Here is a suggestion....
    First , use colder water. They like that colder temperature better than tepid water.
    Second, when you're spraying him, try to get as close as possible with the sprayer, and don't spray his face. Many parrots don't like getting misted from a distance. It's much more annoying to them than when the sprayer is closer.
    Third, when you do get closer only use 1/2 squirts. The shock of the water isn't as great as it is from a distance.
    Fourth, If your bird won't open his wings when you're spray him so when you're using the sprayer, turn the knob so that the water comes out as it would from a water pistol. With him facing you,squirt the water between the wing and his body. The water works it's way in and he will spread it around.
    Fifth, a grey's feathers are waterproof and it sometimes looks like the water is just rolling off which it is. You should keep spraying the outer wings because the dander is thickly laying on them. Enough wetness will soak the dander and when he shakes off the water, the dander will get soaked and fall down to bottom of the cage. A bird's dander will float on water if the bird is done in a sink.
    Sixth, never towel dry or hair dry him after a bath or spray. The longer he stays wet, the more he benefits from the bath/spray. Sixth, the best way to get a grey used to spraying is constant repitition combined with 1/2 squirts. Do it 2x a week if you can but less is also good. Expect squawks, growls and screeching but whether you know it or not, a grey likes the feeling of being wet after getting a bath/spray.

Believe it or not, your problems and situations are not as complex as you think. Mainly, it all has to do with time plus not putting time limits on anything you want to accomplish.
    Last edited by Dave007; 07-05-2013 at 08:53 PM.
    Dave

**Happiness is a State of Mind. Not Happy? Change your Mind**

2. The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to Dave007 For This Useful Post:

ABZ (02-12-2015), aerial.2000 (03-07-2012), bluedawg (03-25-2013), Cosmos_Friend (05-06-2013), DinoUndies (06-20-2011), dw310 (05-23-2010), hammco (10-26-2010), JanMarie (11-05-2013), Jayd (05-23-2010), JJsHoney (05-24-2010), judygram (05-24-2010), KarahEve (09-11-2013), Lizzypants (06-16-2011), luvgrey (05-28-2012), luvparrots (05-23-2010), Michellec (09-14-2013), MiracleAces (12-26-2012), paleale (01-29-2013), samansad (06-09-2015), Shara62 (02-20-2014), Steve 2 (07-05-2014), Talon (05-24-2010), TeresaAnn (09-01-2010), turzzock (07-16-2013), Xtreme575 (05-24-2010), Zoe (04-21-2011)

Thanks
    great ideas,this forum is a wealth of info, I also hunted down a silver grey spray bottle for inbetween baths and he seemed to accept that better than a clear/coloured mister. how we managed to get him to bathe was even more fun, and took a bit more work at first I brought him into the bathroom with me and sat him on the sink as I had a bath, making sure the bathroom was all steamy BUT he was having none of it and although he would eventually venture onto the bath edge and even sing 'row row row your boat' lol he was Not going to go any nearer to the water, so myself and daughter doned our swimsuites and had several bubble baths with water pistols and baby toys, having a huge amount of exaggerated fun, it took several attempts and we gradually reduced the bubbles to plain water,so when Oz got to the point of wanting to join in it was safe for him, ozzie was almost wetting himself wanting to join in at the finish, my hubby thought I had completely lost it but just taking the time out and using lots of reverse psychology really can work, now he just seems to know and shouts row your boat whenever he fancies a dip lol of course he has a dip on his own and we hide an odd nut in some baby toys, by the time he has found them he is drenched but having a whale of a time.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ozziebird For This Useful Post:

>^..^< (09-25-2010), Shara62 (02-20-2014)

Thanks
    Willow is running through a really tough molt. Both my greys shower with me, but the shower doesn't get under the wings/breast area soaked like it should, and I also want to get some aloe gel on her. She's super shy of the spray bottle, so it's going to take some time for her to get used to it, but that's great advice, Dave.

Thanks
    Hi All!

My grey hates it when I spray him. I've quit the spraying because he screams like a sick cat when I do it and I feel that after time he will hate me. I had him at the vet in January and they said that I should find another way of bathing him because it’s obvious by the screaming that he’s not having fun!
    I tried bathing him in the bath tub, but no luck, he bites, scratch and scream!
    I tried putting him in the shower, no luck, the shower head frightens him exceptionally!
    The only thing that works for "us both" is when I put him in another cage, not the one he stays in as it's much too big to move around the whole time. I then put him outside on the grass under a sprayer with a soft mist of water. At first he screamed and growled, but after a while in the sprayer he starts to whistle.
    So it seems for now that this is the only way I can get him to take a bath.
    The only thing that bothers me is: During winter time in South Africa, it can get quite cold. So he doesn’t get a bath as often as I would like him to. It only happens on a weekend when it’s nice and sunny for him to dry again.

Is once a week enough? Is the cold water a problem, should it be more like luke warm?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,159 Times in 2,054 Posts
    Once a week is fine. As far as cold water, I don't know what *cold temperature* water you have. In general, greys prefer colder water than room temperature water. Continue the misting until he is thoroughly soaked. Do it for as as as you can in your warmer climate. There's also another version of bathing that's posted. Read it and see if you've tried that. If you haven't, than try it. If that doesn't work, just stop bathing him during your winter season. Right now, it seems that he'll only accept that outdoor method which involves cold water. The temperature of that water can't be changed. In many areas people never use a lawn mister/sprayer outside because the water hose will freeze up. Your bird won't suffer during the winter months because he's not bathed. If the outside is the only successful area than obviously, that has to be stopped when very cold winters start.
    Dave

**Happiness is a State of Mind. Not Happy? Change your Mind**

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 1,966 Posts
    ok, it's been a little over a month now, thanks to Dave's 2 bathing post, all our fids are wet and wild, [except Tango] Lol Thanks Dave...
    Jayd Maggie Spock and the flock

Thanks
    I've been able to spray Pippa everyday this week. She seems to be accepting it, but today made her feelings quite clear. When I got out the bottle, she ran away, made a gurgley water noise, then shouted 'KNICKERS!'

I can assure you, she didn't learn that from me

Thanks
    aargh, does that sound like I don't wear knickers?!?! I do!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweedle View Post
    aargh, does that sound like I don't wear knickers?!?! I do!!!
    lmao,thats grand! lol

Thanks
    Bathing method 1 + Aloe Vera spray - Testimonial pic no.1

Thanks Dave
    Fingers crossed.