Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 100 % natural aloe vera juice

Thanks
    Thanked 5,939 Times in 1,793 Posts

100 % natural aloe vera juice

100 % NATURAL ALOE VERA JUICE
    -------------------------------------------------------

Most African Greys and Cockatoos and some other species have extremely dry skin. They have natural dander which allows 75% of their feathers to be water proof.
    Many people who do bathe their birds feel that the job wasn't thorough and many times, that's true.
    A completely soaked *to the skin* bath is the ideal but for some, but understandably it's hard to accomplish. For some birds that don't get this type of bath, the dry skin escaltes and can cause itching, irritations which can then cause plucking or chewing of the feathers. Sometimes, a bird might even decide to pull out the whole follicle in which case, the feather/feathers will never grow back.
    olting is nature's way of getting rid of old feathers that have become useless because they've died and a new set of feathers is ready to replace them. This also applies to flight and tail feathers who have a constant blood supply in them and when that blood supply finally dries up, the flight and tail feather will fall out because those feathers have also reached the end of their life and others are ready to take their place. The loss of flight feathers and tail feathers can't be put into the regular classification of a yearly or bi-yearly molt. Flight and tail feathers die off all year long and when they die off it means the feather is dead. All flight and tail feathers won't fall out at the same time. When a bird goes through a regular molt all other feathers do fall out at the same time.
    For many birds whether they have skin/feather problems or not, periodically using Aloe Juice will solve a few problems concerning skin but it'll have no effect on whether a bird has a good or bad molt. Nature is telling the parrot's body to shed feathers in order for new ones to grow in.
    Using Aloe Juice or water will never get rid of dander permanently. It doesn't matter how successful the bath is or the use of the juice is. Molting is a neccessity and the dust whichis called dander provides natural feather protection.

100% NATURAL ALOE VERA JUICE is usually sold in 1 gal. Jugs and can be obtained at major pharmacy outlets including Dept. Stores that have a large pharmacy area such as Walmart. The price ranges from approx $7 to $9 depending on where it's bought.

Using Aloe Juice
    --------------------------
    I find that the best method for using this product is through a mister/sprayer. The juice can be cold or room temperature. I prefer cold so I store the jug in the fridge and just pour it into the mister. There's been discussion about percentages of juice to water. I prefer full strength and I know it can't harm the birds. I've used it full strength for years. The choice is yours.

The most important parts of a grey's body that should be thoroughly soaked are
    1--the inner part of the wing where it meets the body. That body area should be sprayed very well.
    2--all over the breast area starting from the neck all the way down to the vent area.
    All of the above areas aren't water proof so the juice should soak in immediately
    3--the feathers covering each leg.
    4--the base of the upper neck /lower back of the head.

I fill a mister with the fluid and start misting the breast area. I stand about 10 to 12 in away. The closer you are to the bird, the better it is for the bird. Using a mister close up doesn't disturb a bird as much as if the mister was farther away. Usually, the bird tries to bite the nozzle which is to be expected. They'll do the same thing with a water mister. In order to Soak the bird down under the wing area, I turn the nozzle to squirt with the bird facing me, I squirt in between the wings and the body. It quickly works it's way in. In stead of using full pressure on the trigger, I use 1/2 squirts so that the shock of getting hit with the squirting action is greatly minimized. Some birds will actually open up their wings and let the fluid through. Not surprisingly, the majority of birds don't though. The best time to use aloe is after a bath because it has no effect on the outer feathers because the flight, tail and covert feathers are all waterproof. Plain water which used in misters, baths or showers is the best way to remove dander which sits on the the outer feathers.
    Using Aloe Juice softens and makes the skin extremely supple. Normally, a grey or TOO will sit quietly after being bathed until nature tells it that it's time to preen which might take more than an hour. Depends upon the bird..

PS---I also keep a small bottle of 100% PURE ALOE VERA GEL around in case of periodic irritations on the legs I.e.--raw spots, dry scales and intense picking. I also use it for minor thin spots on the body that can happen during molting season. A little dab and it immediately is absorbed by the leg or body. Think about purchasing and keeping that product around besides the aloe juice. You can compare the gel to a first aid cream that people always have around for themselves.

Neither of these items are harmful to the bird. The juice, if accidently ingested won't hurt the bird because neither item is toxic. The gel immediately sinks into ares where it's used.

People also drink Aloe Vera juice when they have intestional problems such as ulcers and digestive problems.
    Dave

**Happiness is a State of Mind. Not Happy? Change your Mind**

2. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Dave007 For This Useful Post:

Birdnut (06-15-2011), charlie boy (04-11-2013), chickabee (01-10-2014), Cinnyminis (08-27-2013), Cosmos_Friend (09-13-2013), danmcq (07-07-2010), DonaldLL (10-05-2010), Eshana (03-23-2011), Jayd (06-07-2010), JillyBeanz (06-07-2010), Joe Bachi (06-06-2012), judygram (06-07-2010), luvgrey (05-05-2012), Netty (08-12-2011), NutMeg (04-14-2012), ozziebird (06-08-2010), paleale (01-29-2013), Popsicle (06-23-2011), Sheldon89 (11-06-2012), Thervonen (06-05-2012), Tweedle (07-15-2010), UndeadMisfit (05-06-2012), Zoom (04-25-2011)

Thanks
    Thanks for this Dave - I use aloe on Harvey after his shower, but usually from the depths of his cage as he just flies off the minute he sees the mister!! I hope people take heed of the advice you give here, because I notice such a difference in Harvey's feathers and skin when I give him the "aloe shower" as opposed to the "normal" shower. Great piece of info - thanks very much

What We Do in Life Echoes in Eternity

Thanks
    I third this, cant beat aloe, completely natural, completely safe and completely does the job, I noticed such a difference in Oz too been using it for several years now and when I had to go into hospital 2 years ago for several weeks, no one used it, he plucked a little and looked like ragamiffin joe when I eventually got home, took a while for him to get back to normal but wow what a difference was noticed esp seeing him go from extremely scruffy looking to a bobbie dazzler as when I first used it he looked fine so results although were excellent couldnt be seen as much iyswim.

Thanks
    Hi my friend has a grey and it has been loseing his down feather's, this only happens when he is out the room and when he retuns there is feathers every where so we know he is not feather plucking as its too meny and they are just the down feathers. been to the vets and they weren't too concerned any advice please would help

Thanks
    What's happening is called molting. The grey is losing all of it's down feathers and they're being replaced by new ones. The new feathers can't actually be seen growing in but they are. This happens once or twice a year. Molting usually happens around this time of year. There's nothing to worry about. It'll last a few weeks. Spraying or misting the bird with water more often during this time is advisable.
    Dave

Thanks
    the vet didnt say that he treated him for mites incase he was ok in him self but today his toilet is very runny and looks like a worm do they get worms the vet just said if he gets worse bring him back and they will do tests but we are trying to see if we can help first the vets say to soak dry fruit and it will sprout then feed it we have tried pumpkin seed food as this is ment to help but he wont eat it even if its mixed

Super Moderator/2ND PLACE CONTEST WINNER! luvparrots's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,730 Times in 3,177 Posts
    My fids are dropping feathers downy and long feathers all over their cages. I can't wait for the molting to end. Fingers crossed that my re-homed eclectus will be able to fly soon. Bezzina hopefully your fid's vet will be able to tell you that your grey is also just molting.

~~~~~~~~~~ Ana Grey ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Louie ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Sterling Gris ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Lily ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave007 View Post

100% NATURAL ALOE VERA JUICE is usually sold in 1 gal. Jugs and can be obtained at major pharmacy outlets including Dept. Stores that have a large pharmacy area such as Walmart. The price ranges from approx $7 to $9 depending on where it's bought.
    Please can anyone suggest where I might be able to get this in the UK? Health food shop?

Sounds like it could only do good for Pip's bare bits.

Thanks
    Try health food shops, herbal shops--pharmacies, large dept stores that also have drug depts. Also check online--just type in ALOE VERA JUICE and see what pops up. You may have to get it online. I'm really not sure about who sells it in the UK. In pharmacies and other drug sections in dept stores, it's usually located in the areas that have to do with all types of digestive stomach problems. There's usually a million items in that section. The reason is that people also drink it for stomach/ digestive situations.
    PS---it's not expensive.
    Dave

Thanks
    Thankyou