+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Thread: Oliver, blue and gold macaw Stewarts new brother

Flock Member oblivion is a jewel in the rough oblivion is a jewel in the rough oblivion is a jewel in the rough oblivion is a jewel in the rough oblivion's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Grey is almost 14 and is definitely adding to his vocabulary. He's picked up my and my wife's voices and has learned our cockatiel's name. Apparently the other night my wife heard him say from under his cover, "Go to bed, Anya."
    Mark in Oblivion
    Current zoo: Mommy, wife; Maggie, Dutch rabbit; Spencer, TAG; Navroh, Quaker; Martini and Stoli, Labradors; Sadie, barn cat; Emily, kid; two aquariums. Recently passed, Anya, cocktiel(12).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to oblivion For This Useful Post:

murfchck (05-01-2012)

Moderator/2ND PLACE CONTEST WINNER! luvparrots has a reputation beyond repute luvparrots has a reputation beyond repute luvparrots has a reputation beyond repute luvparrots has a reputation beyond repute luvparrots has a reputation beyond repute luvparrots has a reputation beyond repute luvparrots has a reputation beyond repute luvparrots has a reputation beyond repute luvparrots has a reputation beyond repute luvparrots has a reputation beyond repute luvparrots has a reputation beyond repute luvparrots's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,119 Times in 2,855 Posts
    I know for a fact that it doesn't matter how old a parrot is if they want to learn. My neighbors have an ekkie that is at least 10 years old. He is learning new words because he is saying the kids names now. How do I know these are new words, because I owned this ekkie for 2 1/2 years before the neighbors and he didn't say the things he says now. Sully is happy and content now, well just like Oliver and so he is talking up a storm! Congratulations!

~~~~~~~~~~ Ana Grey ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Louie ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Sterling Gris ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Lily ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4. The Following User Says Thank You to luvparrots For This Useful Post:

murfchck (05-01-2012)

High Flyer murfchck has a brilliant future murfchck has a brilliant future murfchck has a brilliant future murfchck has a brilliant future murfchck has a brilliant future murfchck has a brilliant future murfchck has a brilliant future murfchck has a brilliant future murfchck has a brilliant future murfchck has a brilliant future murfchck has a brilliant future murfchck's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,254 Posts
    This is wonderful news! I am so happy to hear this! I really think he is trying hard!
    The vets office called today to check up on him. I asked about his regurgitating (ms?), the girl was really concerned about it. She said she would contact Dr. Moore, that he was on vacation so it may be tomorrow before i hear back. I told her not to bother him, just ask when he returned. I wasn't sure if he "loved" me or if it was his PDD, but hes eating, drinking and seems just fine, it could wait till Wednesday. Well they called him anyway and he laughed and said it is "love"! Yeah!!! I can not explain how i feel right now. Content, happy, complete! What a great day!

High Flyer murfchck has a brilliant future murfchck has a brilliant future murfchck has a brilliant future murfchck has a brilliant future murfchck has a brilliant future murfchck has a brilliant future murfchck has a brilliant future murfchck has a brilliant future murfchck has a brilliant future murfchck has a brilliant future murfchck has a brilliant future murfchck's Avatar
    Thanks
    Started back to work, jumped in full time. Lol the boys don't like it. Oliver was a stinker and Stewart was mad when i got home. Sad part daddy was home with them so they didn't freak out with me being gone, but they did anyway. Pat said Oliver said "hello mama" yesterday. That cut through my heart, like missing your childs first step! They both changed their tune toward me after dinner and got all loving again!
    I read somewhere in the forum about covering the cage, that we shouldn't. I was always told to cover birds at night, what do ya'll do?

Senior Moderator judygram has a reputation beyond repute judygram has a reputation beyond repute judygram has a reputation beyond repute judygram has a reputation beyond repute judygram has a reputation beyond repute judygram has a reputation beyond repute judygram has a reputation beyond repute judygram has a reputation beyond repute judygram has a reputation beyond repute judygram has a reputation beyond repute judygram has a reputation beyond repute judygram's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,156 Times in 3,668 Posts
    I read somewhere in the forum about covering the cage, that we shouldn't. I was always told to cover birds at night, what do ya'll do?

If you have always covered their cages then by all means continue to do so, I cover my birds cages at night as they are in the family room where we are until we go to bed, they seem to settle down and you don't hear a peep out of them until I uncover them in the morning. Some people do not like to cover their bird's cages and that is fine if it works for them.
    Never take life seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to judygram For This Useful Post:

murfchck (05-03-2012)

Moderator/2ND PLACE CONTEST WINNER! luvparrots has a reputation beyond repute luvparrots has a reputation beyond repute luvparrots has a reputation beyond repute luvparrots has a reputation beyond repute luvparrots has a reputation beyond repute luvparrots has a reputation beyond repute luvparrots has a reputation beyond repute luvparrots has a reputation beyond repute luvparrots has a reputation beyond repute luvparrots has a reputation beyond repute luvparrots has a reputation beyond repute luvparrots's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,119 Times in 2,855 Posts
    Cage covering is a personal preference. I have also read information about not covering a cage because of the grey dander that greys have and how enclosing the dander and other airborne particles can cause respiration problems. Personally I like fresh air so I do not cover my birds' cages.

~~~~~~~~~~ Ana Grey ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Louie ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Sterling Gris ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Lily ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

10. The Following User Says Thank You to luvparrots For This Useful Post:

murfchck (05-03-2012)

High Flyer Greywings has a brilliant future Greywings has a brilliant future Greywings has a brilliant future Greywings has a brilliant future Greywings has a brilliant future Greywings has a brilliant future Greywings has a brilliant future Greywings has a brilliant future Greywings has a brilliant future Greywings has a brilliant future Greywings has a brilliant future Greywings's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,051 Times in 1,602 Posts
    We cover our cages as they seem to sleep better not so grumpy in the mornings. I would like to see your birds in separate rooms as the Macaws have large open nostrils and they can suck in too much Grey dust causing them breathing issues down the road.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greywings For This Useful Post:

judygram (05-02-2012), murfchck (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    I have been going back and forth with them in seperate rooms. We want to but now with me back at work i am worried about one or the other getting lonely during the day... A perfect world would pay me to stay at home with my babies!!lol Maybe Friday we will bring Stewart to the living room and see how they act over the weekend.
    We have covered them since they have been here. The last two nights we have not and it hasn't bothered them. I doubt, where they came from, they were ever covered. I just feel they need the air. Going to see how it goes.

High Flyer Greywings has a brilliant future Greywings has a brilliant future Greywings has a brilliant future Greywings has a brilliant future Greywings has a brilliant future Greywings has a brilliant future Greywings has a brilliant future Greywings has a brilliant future Greywings has a brilliant future Greywings has a brilliant future Greywings has a brilliant future Greywings's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,051 Times in 1,602 Posts
    You can add a non ionic air cleaner to the far side of the cage away from Stewart. That should suck the dust away from him. Considering relocating the cage where they could see each other might be a thought and no matter what they can still hear each other.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Greywings For This Useful Post:

murfchck (05-04-2012)

Thanks
    If i move Stewart they couldn't see each other anymore. Olivers cage is so large, it was assembled in the room, moving him isn't an option. Their room also has a tv for them during the day, if i move him, he won't have that. Last night we heard a commotion, went in and Oliver had climbed up on Stewarts cage and Stewart flew to Olivers. It isn't that Oliver is attacking him or anything but it scares Stewart i think. We decided to move them today after work and do a trial run this weekend, see how they act. But the air cleaner is a good option if it doesn't work. Man, why is this such a hard choice?

+ Reply to Thread