Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: African Red Palm Oil

Just Hatched
    Thanks

African Red Palm Oil

Who uses it?

What are the Pro's & Con's.

How much should you give?

Any differences in African compared to South American Red Palm oil?

How do people serve it to their flock?

I am thinking of starting my 5 month old CAG on some just as a prophylactic. 1/4 tea spoon twice weekly. Hopefully it will help with feather condition, colour and dry itchy skin, although currently he presents with none of these. As I said prophylactic, as I think plucking once started can become physical as well as psychological so would prefer to prevent it before it starts, as the psychological aspect will probably be harder to overcome.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miffy For This Useful Post:

Jayd (09-03-2012), Spock (09-03-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,761 Times in 3,805 Posts
    A lot of us grey owners use the red palm oil and you can give it every day if you like, that 1/4 teaspoon is the amount to use and you can mix it in other foods or pour it over vegetables or other foods they eat. If you use the pour method you will have to heat it a little in the microwave to make it more liquid but it doesn't harm the quality of the product to do so. Some people live where they have easy access to the actual fruit so their greys can get the benefits directly.

As far as benefits, I know that the palm fruit is one of their daily staples in their natural environment and it has vitamins that they need and provides benefits to the feathers but Dave could provide more info than I can on this subject.
    Never take life seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to judygram For This Useful Post:

Darkfifi29 (02-22-2013), Jayd (09-03-2012), Miffy (09-04-2012), Spock (09-03-2012)

Banned
    Thanks
    Hi, Maggie writing for Jay...Judy is 100% right. RPO is full of your Omega3 acids,, beta carotene, Vitamin A ETC.... I did a report a few months ago on African/Asian etc palm oil, there is a major difference, only buy African... Ask Dave007/Danmcq what brand and where to get it, as well as other members..... Thanks Jay and Maggie
    Last edited by Spock; 09-03-2012 at 06:44 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spock For This Useful Post:

Greywings (09-05-2012), Miffy (09-04-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,965 Times in 1,799 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Miffy View Post
    Who uses it?

What are the Pro's & Con's.

How much should you give?

Any differences in African compared to South American Red Palm oil?

How do people serve it to their flock?

I am thinking of starting my 5 month old CAG on some just as a prophylactic. 1/4 tea spoon twice weekly. Hopefully it will help with feather condition, colour and dry itchy skin, although currently he presents with none of these. As I said prophylactic, as I think plucking once started can become physical as well as psychological so would prefer to prevent it before it starts, as the psychological aspect will probably be harder to overcome.

Red Palm Oil. I've been using it for yearsas well as loads of other people. It provides a very large amount of VIT A and VIT E which are very important that a bird have an abundant supply of. It's an add on to whatever food is being fed. In the wild, palm oil and palm nuts are a staple in their diet.
    It's a light oil which can be given in different ways depending upon how the bird likes it. Some put it on a piece of toast and the bird accepts it. Some put a little on a teaspoon and the bird will take it but that usually applies to birds which are still newly weaned chicks. An adult grey doesn't accept it so easily but there is another method I've always used which works because a bird can't avoid taking it in.
    I take a handful of pellets and let the oil drip on the pellets. The pellets absorb the oil and the bird eats the pellets. I've always had to use this method because Smokey, Tee and Jazz won't accept it any other way.
    I'll explain about it but I'll also include pictures. When the oil is purchased, it's bit thick in the container and has to be thinned out in order to use it. What I do is take an old small seasoning bottle,( like the type that oregano or parsley comes in )clean it thoroughly and then fill it with the oil. When opening the new container the oil has an orange color. The filled up seasoning bottle is put into the microwave for approx 25 seconds. After microwaving, the oil becomes very thin( thinner than olive oil) and the color of the oil is a rich red. I then take a wooden stick that's a little bit thicker than the ink tube in a ball point pen. I put the stick in the oil and let it drip on the pellets. Then I take the pellets and mix them in with their seed mixture. Some people put it in oatmeal or on scrambled eggs. They don't even know the oil is there. It can be used once or twice or 3x or 4x a week.
    The original container and the seasoning bottle can be put away wherever because no refrigeration is necessary. The oil will return to it's orange, thick texture. The name of the company that I give you sells it for about $7.99 plus S/H per container. There are other companies that sell it but it's much more expensive. The product would have to be purchased online.No matter what company sells it, it's all the exact same thing. People who have serious digestive problems also use this product.

Type in SWANSONS VITAMIN OUTLET. All of their thousands of products are much less expensive than other places because they're a huge vitamin outlet. I've done business with them for years.
    When their main page opens up, look for any area that allows you to type in the product. Type in Red Palm Oil.
    You'll then see the product which is 16 ounces. It will be listed as Red Palm Oil or Virgin Palm Oil. Both are identical.

Because you only have one bird, that container should last you about 8 to 12 months.
    If you decide to use this product, after microwaving, the seasoning glass container should be allowed to return to room temperature before giving to your bird. A trick is to put it in the fridge fopr a little bit.
    Think about it. You'll be doing your bird a big favor health wise.

It's called Red Palm Oil. Leave the word african out.

PS----It can be used for other parrots too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Color of Palm Oil before Microwaving
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...eforemicro.jpg

Color of Palm Oil after Microwaving
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...aftermicro.jpg
    Last edited by Dave007; 09-03-2012 at 08:40 PM.
    Dave

**Happiness is a State of Mind. Not Happy? Change your Mind**

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Dave007 For This Useful Post:

danmcq (09-05-2012), Darkfifi29 (02-22-2013), Greywings (09-05-2012), Jayd (09-03-2012), judygram (09-03-2012), Miffy (09-04-2012), MissOMalley (10-23-2012), paleale (01-29-2013), Spock (09-03-2012), Timbersmom (09-03-2012)

High Flyer
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,789 Times in 2,867 Posts
    I'm going to get some. I order stuff for myself from Swanson's all the time.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Timbersmom For This Useful Post:

Jayd (09-03-2012), Miffy (09-04-2012), Spock (09-03-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,965 Times in 1,799 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbersmom View Post
    I'm going to get some. I order stuff for myself from Swanson's all the time.

That's good because S/H will be the same for everything you buy there. When I get the oil from them, I usually get 3 bottles because I have many birds.
    Many years ago, they charged $5.99 but just like everything else in the world, the price slowly got higher.
    Last edited by Dave007; 09-03-2012 at 08:54 PM.
    Dave

**Happiness is a State of Mind. Not Happy? Change your Mind**

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave007 For This Useful Post:

danmcq (09-05-2012), Jayd (09-03-2012), Miffy (09-04-2012), Spock (09-03-2012), Timbersmom (09-03-2012)

High Flyer
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,789 Times in 2,867 Posts
    For anyone else is interested in ordering from Swanson, if you sign up for their email notifications you usually get a % off code, and they run free shipping and other stuff sometimes. Just sayin...

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Timbersmom For This Useful Post:

danmcq (09-05-2012), Dave007 (09-03-2012), Miffy (09-04-2012)

Thanks
    I just tried to order it from them, and they say it's unavailable from the manufacturer. So I ordered it from iherb.com instead. If anybody else wants to order it from iherb, you'll get a discount if you use the code CUY611 when checking out. (It's $11.01 before the discount there, so Dave's place is cheaper when they have it.)

I live with Duncan the cat, Simon Grey, Kazoo the Double Yellow Headed Amazon, and Oboe the Lovebird.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zoom For This Useful Post:

Miffy (09-04-2012), Timbersmom (09-04-2012)

Thanks
    I only buy Jungle Products African Red Palm Oil. It is a bit more expensive at $12 for a 16 oz but it was readily available at my local Whole Foods for awhile and is really great quality. It really doesn't matter if you buy "african" or not as long as you are buying the palm fruit oil and not palm kernel oil. The fruit is what greys eat in the wild and this is the oil with the healthiest nutrients. Red Palm Oil has had some shortages in the world recently due to natural disaster, so it's slowly making its way back to the shelves. I bought two jars a year ago from iherb.com and they were the only ones stocking it besides a company purporting to be "all natural" who raised their price $30 on their remaining supply because of the shortage. I just opened my second jar and probably won't need to order again until at least Feb!

Just Hatched
    Thanks
    I wasn't sure if some Red Palm oil may be blended with other oils and sold off as Red Palm oil. The Red Palm oil from south east asia is a major reason why the orangutan's are close to extinction due to habitat loss. So yes I will source mine from Africa.