Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safe Temperature Range for a Grey

Thanks
    Thanked 10,345 Times in 3,413 Posts

Safe Temperature Range for a Grey

I have searched for some solid facts on the temperature range an African Grey can handle. There is no real factual information I can find other than topics written on the web by Grey owners like you and I.

Does anyone here know of a solid resource that is based on scientific studies?

Obviously, normal inside home temperatures are fine, but outside trips are what I am concerned with here.

The temperatures here vary from 112 in the summer afternoons to lows of sometimes 16 degrees in the winter (rare, but sometimes). I know the extremes would be unacceptable, but there is a normalized range, I am certain that would be "Ok" for short reasonable periods of time.
    Within all of us is a varying amount of space lint and star dust, the residue from our creation. Most are too busy to notice it, and it is stronger in some than others. It is strongest in those of us who fly and is responsible for an unconscious, subtle desire to slip into some wings and try for the elusive boundaries of our origin. ~K.O. Eckland, "Footprints On Clouds"

Dayo in flight....

Thanks

I can attempt to look through my collection of books for an official value. Yet all things considered, looking up the temperature range of the area they are native to: the rain forest in Africa, would make the most sense.

As for myself, I go based on the status of the plumage an the respiration. If the feathers are fluffed out and he's all tucked in, its likely too cold. If he's got his feathers flat and all put away like he's scared, and usually accompanied by panting, he's too hot. Also, birds use their feet to cool off or keep warm much like a dog pants or a human sweats. Body tucked down on the feet is cold obviously and standing high with the toes spread is hot.

On hot car ride I will bring a spray bottle and give them a light mist. I make sure to get under the wings and nearly soak the front of the wing where the heavy veins are. Furthermore spraying water on their feet cools them off most effectively.

Thanks

My breeder pair live outside but they get use to the temps cause they have been there all year.
    I have not taken Topaz out in this weather except late evening and early morning and even then I worry.
    Even birds that are use to it need to be in the shade and have moving air. And they drink lots of water.

Thanks

Hi Geoff and Tari,

Thanks for the offer to look up existing information in your library of Books and also the good tips on carrying a mister.

Acclimatisation makes sense, as that also is how it occurs in the wild.
    Within all of us is a varying amount of space lint and star dust, the residue from our creation. Most are too busy to notice it, and it is stronger in some than others. It is strongest in those of us who fly and is responsible for an unconscious, subtle desire to slip into some wings and try for the elusive boundaries of our origin. ~K.O. Eckland, "Footprints On Clouds"

Dayo in flight....

Thanks
    Thanked 8,616 Times in 3,770 Posts

Be careful of some of those big words, Dan, I wouldn't want you to trip over them.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Never take life seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!

Thanks

From what I understand, birds acclimate to temperature rather well. but from what I've gathered its not good to take them from one extreme to the other. Heck the other night I left the bird room window open, it got down to about 65 or so, but wasn't terribly cold in there and none of them were shivering in the morning, to be honest I think they enjoyed the break from the 90* temps!

Thanks

Thanks Loviechick,

Now thats a good temperature variation :-)

Do you know if it shocks their system for example to go from an Airconditioned 78 out into say 95 for a 10 minute romp?

Dayo in flight....

Thanks

LOL Judy....Thanks for the ribbing :-)

Just wait until I bust out a $5 word or two ;-)

Dayo in flight....

Thanks

Re:Safe Temperature Range for a Grey

Here in Hawaii it is about 85-90 year round and we rarely use our air conditioner (but we leave all the windows open). Makena doesn't seem to mind but I can tell sometimes he gets a little hot upstairs (around 90 most days) when we bring him up to play... His cage is downstairs which is usually around 80 during the day and 70 at night. When it gets really hot we will keep the air on for him at about 78. What we are worried about is we are thinking about moving to Seattle in a couple of years... talk about one extreme to another! I guess Makena is going to have to learn the concept of seasons!

Thanks
    Thanked 8,616 Times in 3,770 Posts

Re:Safe Temperature Range for a Grey

Makena, that will be a big change, from Hawaii to Washington state. He will have to stay inside more in Seattle, and won't see the sun as much as in Hawaii. But they adjust just fine to wherever they live, people all over the world have them and they acclimate to their surroundings.
    Never take life seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!