Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painting Bird cages

Just Hatched
    Thanks

Painting Bird cages

Hi to all

I'm new here so bare with me if this question has been asked before.

I have just bought a cage which had some rust on it. I have used a wire brush to remove all the loose rust and have repainted with Hammerite. I intend to give the cage several days to dry. Does anyone know if the cage will be safe to house a young African Grey I intend to buy soon?

Many Thanks

Paxobird

Thanks

Painting Bird cages

That is an excellent question, and one which I would be interested in getting some guidance on as well. We've got an old cage in the back yard that needs cleaning up, but we'd like to put it on the patio and give Ponti a place to go when we all go outside for BBQ's (after the cooking is done and the smoke clears of course)

I was thinking the best way would be to pay somebody to professionally strip it and then powder-coat it, which actually fuses the paint into the metal, but is there a non-toxic spray-paint that the birds can't chew off the bars, or, if (when?) they do, it will be non-toxic to them?

Thanks

Painting Bird cages

As far as I know, powder coating is the only safe way to paint a cage.

When I was a kid, I painted a cage for my parakeet. He chewed on the bars all the time. He died when he was six (there was a puddle of blood on the cage floor next to him), and based on all of his symptoms, I believe I killed him with lead poisoning .

Thanks
    Thanked 5,959 Times in 1,797 Posts

Painting Bird cages

Spooky's right but it's actually better that you buy a new cage that's powder coated cause it's more expensive to recoat it with powder coating, especially if it's had rust on it before.
    Dave

**Happiness is a State of Mind. Not Happy? Change your Mind**

Thanks

Painting Bird cages

Yeah, I would not risk painting a cage and putting my grey in it. I would go ahead and get a new cage with powder coating on it. MrSpock pointed me to an ebay store with a great cage with an even better price.

Thanks

Re:Painting Bird cages

It is not worth the risk.

Joe

Thanks
    Thanked 10,432 Times in 3,426 Posts

MrSpock and others are correct.

Powder coating is the only safe solution and the cost of having it done correctly would be more than a bew Cage.
    Within all of us is a varying amount of space lint and star dust, the residue from our creation. Most are too busy to notice it, and it is stronger in some than others. It is strongest in those of us who fly and is responsible for an unconscious, subtle desire to slip into some wings and try for the elusive boundaries of our origin. ~K.O. Eckland, "Footprints On Clouds"

Dayo in flight....

Thanks

As the others have said i personally wouldnt risk painting a cage with any paint. Powder coating is the safest way to go, Powder-coated finishes are easier to clean and resist corrosion. This is important because parrots are chewers and certain paints, rust or wrought iron can be very dangerous. A new cage would be the safest option.

Thanks

I had a similar concern with even new cages. New iron bar cages are still painted, and can still chip and flake over time and use. Back when I was getting a TAG, I spoke to the avian vet. She said it is a concern, but paints today used for cages are safer since they don't have toxic resins that can be absorbed. It's more like plastic that will just pass thru their system if a piece flakes off.

As for what I did when I took home my baby TAG at just a few months of age, I kept her in a typical CalCage for months and looked for what I thought would be the best cage for her many years that lay ahead. I ended up with a much higher quality and larger cage made of natural materials that don't need paint. A 4-foot wide x 3-foot deep aluminum frame cage that is 7-foot tall, stainless steel wire, glass doors, mananita branches, and sisal climbing ropes. Other than toys, all natural. And she has full spectrum 12-hour timed lighting, a HEPA air purifyier, and since she loves TV, her own flatscreen TV up against a glass panel. Perhaps overkill, it's more like a zoo habitat, but she means so much to me. Her cage door is always open when I am home. Sure she is excited when I get home to come out and fly, get a good frisking of feathers and play and such. However, she adores her cage. And often spends hours in there on weekends when I'm home all day.

Thanks

GeorgeC wrote:
    I had a similar concern with even new cages. New iron bar cages are still painted, and can still chip and flake over time and use. Back when I was getting a TAG, I spoke to the avian vet. She said it is a concern, but paints today used for cages are safer since they don't have toxic resins that can be absorbed. It's more like plastic that will just pass thru their system if a piece flakes off.

As for what I did when I took home my baby TAG at just a few months of age, I kept her in a typical CalCage for months and looked for what I thought would be the best cage for her many years that lay ahead. I ended up with a much higher quality and larger cage made of natural materials that don't need paint. A 4-foot wide x 3-foot deep aluminum frame cage that is 7-foot tall, stainless steel wire, glass doors, mananita branches, and sisal climbing ropes. Other than toys, all natural. And she has full spectrum 12-hour timed lighting, a HEPA air purifyier, and since she loves TV, her own flatscreen TV up against a glass panel. Perhaps overkill, it's more like a zoo habitat, but she means so much to me. Her cage door is always open when I am home. Sure she is excited when I get home to come out and fly, get a good frisking of feathers and play and such. However, she adores her cage. And often spends hours in there on weekends when I'm home all day.
    Wow! Can I come live in a cage at your house? :woohoo:

Looks like you take really good care of your baby!

I don't know if I want to buy a 2nd new cage just for the patio, the first one was $300. Until then we'll just keep doing what we're doing: Take her out on the patio in her small travel cage. At least she gets to experience the fresh air and the great outdoors! (without an extra $200-$300 out of my pocket!)