Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Feeding a 6 week african grey

Just Hatched
    Thanks

Feeding a 6 week african grey

:unsure: I purchased a 6 week old bird today and are feeding the Parrot AVI+ Handrearing Feed for caged birds. This states that no other suppliments are necc. while feeding this. I am not sure how often to feed the bird, or how much at a time? Should I feed the bird fruit at this age?

Administrator
    Thanks

I would start by saying I never had a baby this age.
    I got my gery a bit older than 6 weeks... so I'm giving you advices I read and heard of.

I would have used Pretty Bird Hand-feeding Formula (8% fat) - spoon feeding.
    You can make your ownformula but you might have problems with bacteria and your baby might not gain weight.

You can try giving him small chunks of fruits, and see if he react to them.

Thanks

How is the hand feeding going? I breed parrots. Your baby should be getting a LARGE variety of foods at this time. Feeding a variety of foods now will make a healthier adult. Go to my profile and go to my web site then go to caring for your Parrot also check out the macaw baby pictures and it shows babies eating a variety of foods and how I present it for them to eat.

Administrator
    Thanks

Hi teresasbirds - thanks for your tips :-)

Just Hatched
    Thanks

Re:Feeding a 6 week african grey

Which is your website link? The one starting "Feeding Baby African Greys" is not a hotlink. I too would like to know at what age to introduce fruits and veggies.

Ginger

Thanks

we had our chicken no1 at 5 weeks we were told to feed him every 4 hours with a supplement mix with about -3x in warm water i think? but he died a week later DONT TAKE THAT AS FACT check with pro first!
    Also our chick no1 didnt seem to do alot or move he couldnt even sit up straight half the time no very strong is your like this at all i dont know if he was doomed to start with?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,761 Times in 3,805 Posts

I'm sorry Devanz that you lost one before but you may be right, something may have been wrong with it and was not going to make it anyway, but it still hurts just the same.
    Never take life seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!

Thanks

And you should wait 10-12 weeks till the are fully weaned i.e able to live off there baby food and use it as a supplement once a week for a while (but what can i say when i did exactly the same IMA TWAT OH YES!!! I didnt have a clue what i was doing in reality i had read up a lot of things and brought sprays and electric blankets ect but it was all futile in the end,as it so ofen is with life in general!

Just Hatched
    Thanks

Fancy is doing great. I just started offering different things to her while I was spooning in the formula. She has shown curiosity but throws the cereal and raisins I put on top of the sofa, her favorite resting place; at me when she wants to catch my attention. Her personality is really starting to come out. She is determined to get her clutches on the brightly colored Cable Remote Control (and remove all the buttons Iím sure as she has already managed to pull out one of the set buttons on my watch.). She is so sweet too. I was napping on the sofa earlier and when I awoke she had climbed down and settled herself on my shoulder and laid her head near my neck. It was SUCH a moment! When I was eating a banana Popsicle earlier the bright color attracted her and she made a beeline for it. She couldnít believe it was so cold but none the less she tried 3 more times to take a bite of it before deciding it wasnít for her. Right now I am just trying to give her choices but when she is really hungry as in the morning I canít spoon in the formula fast enough for her.
    Thank you all for your advice.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,432 Times in 3,426 Posts

Wow, your Baby is around 6 or 7 Months old now?

It sounds like you are having great fun with your Grey! :-)

Do you have any photo's or her/him you could post?
    Within all of us is a varying amount of space lint and star dust, the residue from our creation. Most are too busy to notice it, and it is stronger in some than others. It is strongest in those of us who fly and is responsible for an unconscious, subtle desire to slip into some wings and try for the elusive boundaries of our origin. ~K.O. Eckland, "Footprints On Clouds"

Dayo in flight....