Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: lighting

Thanks

lighting

Is there a difference between full spectrum lighting and a plant light that gives off artificial sunlight to plants? I cuurently have avian fullspectrum lights, but am wondering if and when I have to replace bulbs could i just go get a plant light bulb...they seem easier to get your hands on.

Thanks

lighting

I use full spectrum lights that I buy at walmart. I have no idea what the difference is. Sorry.

Thanks

lighting

Any lamp with a CRI (color rendition index) of greater than 92, and Color Temperature of 5000-5800K will suffice...I'm looking it up now online to see what the bulbs you can get at places like WalMart have...

Thanks
    Thanked 9,919 Times in 4,123 Posts

lighting

Good for you BMustee, to check into this for us, I would like to know also, and karma for you girl.:P
    Never take life seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!

Thanks

lighting

Here's a good link to read about FS lighting.
    http://users.mis.net/~pthrush/lighting/spectrum.html

Thanks
    Thanked 10,774 Times in 3,502 Posts

lighting

One note on "Full Spectrum" lights of any type in regards your Bird getting the UVA or B needed for vitamin D absorption in the Body.

The labels you are reading that give stats on the color temp and CRI is basically a general public indicator of how well the color balance in your home or any other environment, say for photography or the like and the amount of lumen's and hue the objects the light output hits will take on.

This by no means, that your Bird is receiving any UV at all or sufficient to produce vitamin D through its Feathers absorbing the UV Rays.

Being an engineer in the Imaging field for many years and knowing the critical part that the "Light Spectrum" affects the subject being captured and the resulting image information received from the reflected light that is not absorbed by the subject, gives tons of information about what colors and wave lengths of light the subject actually absorbed.

With this being said, unless you are going to place basically a tanning light that outputs UVA and B over your Grey for a few hours a day, they are not gaining anything in the Vitamin D3 area through their feathers, which is what what owners place the lamps over the Cages for.

This means that the foods your Grey receives must contain Vitamin D3, Calcium and the other important vitamins for their health and well being.

Personally, I have 4 - 96'' 75 watt Fluorescent Lamp fixture in the room my Parrots are in. This provides the required daylight hours for the normal wake/sleep cycle for good health and sleep.

Just my 2 cents, but I just wanted to ensure that new bird owners understand that shining a full-spectrum or UV light on their bird does not guarantee or provide the necessary Vitamin D production needed for Calcium absorption and good health... :-)
    Within all of us is a varying amount of space lint and star dust, the residue from our creation. Most are too busy to notice it, and it is stronger in some than others. It is strongest in those of us who fly and is responsible for an unconscious, subtle desire to slip into some wings and try for the elusive boundaries of our origin. ~K.O. Eckland, "Footprints On Clouds"

Dayo in flight....

Thanks

lighting

Actually, Birds see in a "fuller" spectrum of colors than humans...that is the big reason why you should use full spectrum lighting. If your parrot is on a proper diet they are getting an adequate amount of vitamin D. In the body, the liver manufactures a chemical known as 'precursor D' (7-dehydrocholesterol) a "good" cholesterol. This substance is released into the bloodstream, where in humans, it is exposed to the middle range of UV through the skin, becoming "previtamin D". This is sometimes confused with D2 (calciferol), a form of the vitamin which is found in plant sources. In most birds, the preen gland (uropygeal) collects the raw pre-D from the bloodstream, and concentrates it in the gland oils. These are then exposed to sunlight by spreading on the feathers during preening. The bird then ingests the UV exposed material when it preens again, and the oils enter the body again as previtamin D. The natural temperature of an organism then rearranges this substance further, forming a weak D3, or cholecalciferol. This is what is generally available as a dietary supplement in fish liver oils. To become fully active as Vitamin D, the liver and the kidneys make other changes in the chemical, resulting in true Vitamin D3 (1,25-dihydroxycholecalciferol). In any warm blooded animal, once a source of calciferol or cholecalciferol is introduced, UV of any sort no longer plays a role in the synthesis. This is evidenced by animals who are nocturnal, fur bearing, or burrowing, and receive no UV exposure. They acquire proper levels of Vitamin D from dietary sources. It is the same thing with birds. Several species of tropical birds, including African Greys and Red Front Macaws have underdeveloped or non-functioning preen glands. Other species, such as Cockatiels, Conures, and Budgies obtain the vast majority of their intake in the form of calciferol. This calciferol is found in the fresh grains which form the bulk of these birds diets. From this perspective, any birds which receive a balanced diet, rich in calciferol or cholecalciferol, seed eaters who have access to fish oils does not require either sunlight or full spectrum light to have adequate Vitamin D3 levels.<br><br>Post edited by: BMustee, at: 2007/11/29 15:56

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BMustee For This Useful Post:

DonaldLL (09-29-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,774 Times in 3,502 Posts

lighting

My point exactly without going in to the engineering specifics side of "Why" UVA and B is not needed via the light source... B)

The point of Vitamin specific foods that provide the correct balance for absorption is the critical item to pay close attention to and not assume your grey is getting sufficient vitamin D produced through it's black wings as they receive most their vitamin D from in the wild. B)
    Within all of us is a varying amount of space lint and star dust, the residue from our creation. Most are too busy to notice it, and it is stronger in some than others. It is strongest in those of us who fly and is responsible for an unconscious, subtle desire to slip into some wings and try for the elusive boundaries of our origin. ~K.O. Eckland, "Footprints On Clouds"

Dayo in flight....

Thanks

lighting

Ok, I just found one thing that's kinda helpful. For a lightbulb to be sold as Full Spectrum, the CRI rating must be greater than 80...so the lights at Walmart would be very, very close to what you should have.

Thanks

lighting

I also use a full spectrum UVA and UVB lamp 26w with an inbuilt ioniser.